The New School Year is Almost Here
The end of summer is near, and a new school year is just around the corner. For parents, this means it's time to start thinking about purchasing new school shoes for their children. With so many choices on the market, it can be challenging to know where to start. This guide will help you consider all the factors in choosing the best school shoes for your children.
Factors to Consider Before Shopping
Before heading to the store, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Think about your child's activity level. If they are very active and participate in after-school sports, you'll want to look for a shoe that can withstand heavy use.
- Check the school dress code. Some schools have strict guidelines about what types of shoes can be worn. Make sure to find out what the requirements are before making your purchase.
- Consider your child's foot type. If they have flat feet or high arches, you'll want to look for a shoe that provides extra support in those areas.
What to Look for When Shopping
Once you've considered all the factors above, it's time to start shopping! When looking at different shoes, there are a few things you'll want to keep an eye out for:
- Ensure that the shoe offers adequate arch support. This is especially important if your child has flat feet or high arches.
- Check that the shoe is the correct size. It's vital that children have enough room to wiggle their toes and that the shoe isn't too tight.
- Look for a shoe that is well-made and durable. You don't want to replace your child's shoes every few months, so it's worth investing in a quality pair.
Our Recommendations for School Shoes
Check out our recommendations below!
If you're looking for a versatile shoe that can be worn for both school and after-school activities, we recommend the Nike Air Max. These shoes are made to accommodate growing feet, and the design provides toes extra room as your children's feet grow.
For a more budget-friendly option, look at the Adidas Stan Smith. This shoe is durable and provides proper arch support for kids on the go. Plus, they are created from recycled materials!
If your child's school has a strict dress code, you'll want to ensure you find a shoe that meets those requirements. Our top pick for dress shoes is the Sperry Top-Sider. This shoe is available in black and brown and has a classic look that will never go out of style. Additionally, this pair offers an EVA footbed with a heel cup for extra support!
If your child's school has a relaxed dress code, sandals may be a good option.
Our top pick for sandals is the Teva Hurricane. This sandal is durable and comes in various colors and sizes. Teva sandals are known for their foam midsoles that add extra cushioning for maximum comfort and support!
If your child is very active and participates in after-school sports, you'll want to ensure you find a shoe specifically designed for their activity.
We recommend Under Armour's Boys Highlight Franchise JR Football Cleat if your child plays football. These cleats provide:
- Ankle support.
- An open-holed tongue for ventilation.
- A rubber mold for traction against all surfaces.
For basketball, we recommend the Nike LeBron. This shoe provides excellent support and traction on the court.
For soccer, we recommend the Adidas Predator. This lightweight, comfortable cleat provides a significant amount of ankle support.
If your child is on the baseball or softball field in the spring, we suggest purchasing New Balance 4040 v6 Rubber Molded cleats. These unisex cleats provide lightweight cushioning for added durability to withstand turf, dirt, concrete, or grass.
Lastly, we recommend the New Balance Fresh Foam for your kiddos that run track or cross country. This shoe is designed for comfort and has a cushioned sole to help your child run faster and longer.
Care for Your Children at New York Foot Center
Purchasing new school shoes doesn't have to be a daunting task. By keeping the factors above in mind, you can find the perfect pair for your child to keep their feet in fine fettle this school year.
If your child is having any foot or ankle problems, New York Foot Center is here to be a helping hand. Our qualified foot and ankle specialists have given our patients excellent, compassionate care to help them get back on their feet for over thirty years.
Call the New York Foot Center today at (917) 809-6318 or visit us online to schedule your child's appointment.